Sustainability and Debt Governance Manager
Consultant Anna Cuzon
Date posted 12 April 20192019-04-15 2019-06-11 banking Ebene Ebene MU ZAR 230000 288000 288000 YEAR Robert Walters https://www.robertwaltersafrica.com
The bank is strengthening its team through the appointment of Sustainability & Debt Governance Manager to ensure compliance with environment, social and debt governance practices in its banking operations. To be achieved through: * Promotion of best international practice standards in sustainable development and environmental protection, provision of advice and support to clients that help manage environmental and social risk, enhance development outcomes, support and add value to client’s businesses. * Ensuring that environmental and social risks inherent in the bank credit and investment portfolios are effectively identified, measured and managed, within the framework provided by the bank ’s Environmental and Social Risk Management Policy. * Ensuring that an environmental and social risk identification, assessment and monitoring is fully embedded in the bank ’s Enterprise-wide Risk Management Framework (EWRMF) and Management Information System. * Ensuring effective monitoring, management and reporting of the governance surrounding DFI debt to ensure compliance with all terms and conditions of the facilities granted. * Monitoring of the variables assigned by Care Ratings, together with assessment of metrics and a quarterly basis supplemented by stress tests and scenario analysis.
- Work collaboratively with the different stakeholders across the Bank to develop, coordinate, promote and embed the Sustainability initiatives.
- Educating the Bank’s Employees about environmental and social risk management training, particularly as regards the Business originators.
- Carry out and Assess/audit current working and business practices to establish targets for sustainability efforts and to ensure measurable and continued improvement in sustainability practices.
- Implement the approved sustainability program across the Bank.
- Participate in product design discussions, which have an impact on the Environment and Society
- Devise metrics/key performance indicators to enable informed decisions.
- Provide data and input in annual and other relevant reports;
- Provide recommendations to incorporate sustainability strategy with the Bank’s strategy.
- Participation in external sustainability forums and platforms;
- Conduct awareness/information sessions with employees and stakeholders on given products or projects launched within the Bank’s Sustainability strategy;
- Monitor E & S and sustainability projects budgets and take necessary steps to optimise use of resources.
- E&S Review of new investment proposals (debt and equity) for the bank ’s consideration, including the identification of potential environmental and social impacts, risks and issues as early in the project cycle as possible, develop recommendations for client actions and draft relevant project processing documentation. The E&S appraisal may include site visits whenever required.
- Whenever required, work with clients to define steps (often in the form of E&S Action Plan) needed to meet the requirements of IFC’s Performance Standards and the World Bank Group’s Environmental, Health and Safety Guidelines.
- Oversee the environmental and social performance of specific allocated projects and assist the clients in improving their E&S performance, when necessary.Actively work with Transaction/Front Office Teams to ensure the effective monitoring of obligor environmental and social risk performance, carry out regular site visits, directly with the client and/or in collaboration with the Transaction/Front Office Teams and flag any breaches.
- Identify opportunities for adding value in an investment project structure related to environmental and social opportunities above and beyond risk management, if and when appropriate.
- Serve as an advocate on E&S matters within and outside the bank and contribute to institutional knowledge base by analysing and disseminating lessons learned and best practice from specific projects financed/investments made by the bank and disseminate them within the institution.
- Periodically review and continuously ensure that the the bank ’s Environmental and Social Risk Management Policy is fully and appropriately implemented and flag any breaches.
- Maintain and update the bank’s E&S management system and E&S tools relating to its lending and investments;
- Work on the development/continuous improvement of E&S tools, checklists and guidelines to improve efficiencies of project processing and enable improved client management of environmental and social issues.
- Where required, work with independent environmental and social consultants hired by the bank and/or co-lenders.
- Actively work with other management areas (credit, market, operational, etc.), under the supervision of the Chief Risk Officer, in order to ensure that environmental and social risk management is effectively integrated into the bank ’s EWRMF.
- Work with the Chief Risk Officer regularly and periodically to review the overall E&S risks of the bank ‘s entire portfolio.
- Work with the Chief Risk Officer in the preparation of environmental and social risk management monitoring reports.
- Keep abreast of latest developments in the fields of sustainable development, particularly about applications to the finance sector.
- Maintain and foster mutually beneficial relationships with DFIs and the Rating Agencies.
- Efficiently ensure that all requirements upon the Bank imposed by DFI debt agreements and Care Ratings are complied with at all times. Reporting requirements within the scheduled deadlines to be adhered.
- Through forward looking stress tests and scenario analysis, Management to be proactively informed of any issue that might adversely affect terms & conditions compliance and /or the Bank’s credit rating.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Risk Officer.
Interactions / Dependencies
- Reports to CRO.
- Actively work with the Transaction / Front Office Teams / Shareholders / Finance Team (especially the CFO)
- Interface with different parts of the organisation involved in the end-to-end investment management process.
- DFI and rating agency relationships are key to manage and take complete ownership
Key Performance Indicators
- Foster environmental and social risk management in the banking operations of The bankand track progress using pre-agreed measures
- Minimisation of losses caused through impairment of equity investment through effective portfolio management and use of risk mitigation measures.
- The bank ’s management of Environmental and Social Risk Management adheres to international best practice, as defined by the IFC Performance Standards of Sustainability, as subsequently updated.
- Proactively work towards mitigating the risk of crystallisation of Legal and Reputation Risk in respect of Environmental and Social risk concerns.
- Proactive advisory role in respect of potential issues that could negatively affect the DFI funding and the Bank’s credit rating.
Minimum Qualifications & Requisite Skills
- Graduate degree in relevant discipline. A combination of E&S and engineering training and skillsets would be a definite advantage.
- A minimum of 4 years of practical experience in environmental and/or social management and 15 years’ experience working in a financial institution will be a definite advantage.
- Experience and familiarity with the IFC Performance Standards, World Bank Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Guidelines. Alternatively, experience and familiarity with the ILOCore Labour Standards, will be an advantage.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyse diverse information and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written English & French language skills.
- Knowledge and working experience in emerging markets, particularly in the African continent.
- High level of work and ethical standards and a demonstrated ability to handle procedures that involve highly sensitive and confidential information
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize assignments, and work effectively often under time pressure and with minimum supervision
- Demonstrated maturity, judgment, and sound decision-making and negotiating skill.
- Good team player who can work as a member of multi-disciplinary teams.