Location Ivory CoastFULL_TIME
Consultant Jan McDonald
Date posted 08 March 2019 2019-03-082019-05-07 legal Abidjan CI USD 3000 5500 5500 MONTH Robert Walters https://www.robertwaltersafrica.com
Our client, a multinational FMCG firm based in Ivory Coast, is looking for a Legal Counsel to provide sound legal advise acorss business units. This is an exciting opportunity to lead the legal team which is responsible for managing the end-to-end legal proceses across the Ivory Coast.
- Providing reliable and resourceful legal and business advice on a broad spectrum of areas including contracts, trademarks – working in collaboration with the Global Function’s subject matter experts, to the Franchise leadership and associates with respect to day to day operations.
- Reviewing and making recommendations on all marketing and promotional materials as well as product labels for the Francophone West Africa and Horn, Islands, and Mid Africa Franchises under WABU, managing applications for new trademarks and challenges to infringements in liaison with the corporate TM team.
- Management of various legal databases within the function and ensuring constant update thereof and availability of relevant and necessary information to enable the function adequately support the business.
- Provide, where necessary, appropriate training to associates and management in relation to compliance, governance, litigation, trademarks, policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with outside counsel in relation to specific litigation matters by setting clear objective, defining a strategic direction, reviewing work product for quality assurance, securing evidence, and providing ongoing information to outside counsel to ensure that objectives are fully met, and at all times keeping line manager and relevant management fully informed of all relevant developments on all such matters.
- Act as the Franchise Local Ethics Officer providing guidance on engagements between the business/vendors and government officials as well as resolving situations where conflicts of interest may arise in Associates’ dealings with third parties.
- Provide legal and company secretarial support to subsidiaries and associated entities as may be required. Provide legal language support to Senior Operations Counsel for contract drafting and communication for the West Africa, Horn, Islands and Mid Africa Franchises.
- Supporting System Alignment including Bottler authorizations and documentation, management of compliance under the Bottlers Agreements, Authorizations for new products, and general guidance to the franchise on bottler engagement.
- Franchise Legal M&A transactions Lead providing local legal support to transaction teams on various merger/acquisition transactions across the franchise.
QUALIFICATIONS / COMPENTENCIES / SKILLS:
- Degree in Law from a recognized university
- Good written and spoken communication skills in French and English
- Good working knowledge of company and commercial law, litigation, intellectual property and corporate governance principles and a good appreciation of competition, consumer, digital media, data privasy and employment law.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving abilities.
- Analytical Thinking
- Influencing Skills
- Planning & organising
- Ability to deliver without supervision
- Ability to import and export good ideas into process and practice
- Value Driven – Integrity, Agility, Inclusion and Courage
RELATED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS/ QUALIFICATIONS:
5-6+ years post-qualification experience in a busy corporate environment or law firm.
- University/Bachelors degree - (Law Degree) with membership in good standing of Bar Association – Required
- University/Advanced degree – Required
- Postgraduate/Masters degree - Optional
Ability to work across geographies and cultures given the multicultural structure of the Business Unit
- English – Fluent Knowledge (spoken and written)
- French – fluent knowledge (spoken and written – including business French)
Office. No known hazards.
Travel within the Business Unit for function or franchise meetings or engagement with third parties on behalf of the function (10% of the time)