Contract type: FULL_TIME
Consultant: Mitchel Sinclair
Job reference: 50965353/001
Date posted: 13 September 2023west-africa mining-engineering-operations/engineering-electrical-electronic 2023-09-13 2023-11-12 engineering Lagos NG Robert Walters https://www.robertwaltersafrica.com https://www.robertwaltersafrica.com/content/dam/robert-walters/global/images/logos/web-logos/square-logo.png true
The Group Chief Operating Officer (GCOO) will play a pivotal role in shaping and executing the company's operational and strategic objectives (Power & Gas). The GCOO will be responsible and accountable for the planning, management, performance, and improvement of the company’s assets. He/She will collaborate closely with the GCEO and other senior executives to chart the course for the organization's future, ensuring alignment with our vision, mission, and core values.
Strategic Planning and Execution:
• Work closely with the GCEO and the Board of Directors to define and implement the company's long-term strategic plan.
• Develop comprehensive strategies that drive business growth, market expansion, and competitive advantage.
• Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) and regularly assess progress towards strategic objectives.
Development and Implementation of Operations Strategy:
• Implement required structures and acquire skilled resource to enable the operation strategy execution
• Formulate and execute strategies to enhance operational efficiency, resource optimization, and workflow management.
• Collaborate with departments to identify process bottlenecks and implement solutions for seamless operations.
• Foster a culture of innovation and continuous improvement to adapt to changing market dynamics.
• Implement performance measurement systems to track key operational KPIs and adjust strategies accordingly.
Asset Management Strategy:
• Develop comprehensive asset management plans to optimize the lifecycle value of company assets.
• Implement predictive maintenance strategies to minimize downtime and improve asset reliability.
• Lead initiatives to assess and upgrade existing assets for improved efficiency and compliance.
• Establish risk assessment protocols and develop strategies to mitigate asset-related risks.
• Enhance asset tracking systems for better monitoring and utilization.
• Partner with critical OEMs, suppliers and subject matter experts to enable effective asset management
• Provides direction and leadership to the management on the company infrastructure and technology direction
• Oversee the planning and execution of capital projects, ensuring alignment with strategic objectives.
• Allocate resources effectively to balance project priorities and optimize return on investment.
• Implement project management best practices to monitor progress, costs, and timelines.
• Lead the development and execution of a digital transformation strategy to enhance operational processes and customer experience.
• Identify opportunities for automation, data analytics, and AI-driven solutions.
• Implement cybersecurity measures to protect digital assets and sensitive data.
• Develop training programs to upskill employees in digital tools and technologies.
• Implement data-driven decision-making processes to optimize operations.
Plant Performance and Assurance Strategy:
• Develop strategies to optimize plant performance and energy production efficiency.
• Implement monitoring and reporting systems to track key operational metrics.
• Establish protocols for plant maintenance, inspections, and regulatory compliance.
• Lead quality assurance initiatives to ensure conformance with industry standards.
• Strengthen emergency response protocols and contingency plans.
Health, Safety, Environment (HSE) / Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG):
• Develop and enforce a comprehensive HSE/ESG framework, prioritizing employee safety and environmental responsibility.
• Implement initiatives to reduce the company's carbon footprint and promote sustainability.
• Conduct regular HSE audits and risk assessments, taking corrective actions as necessary.
• Lead the integration of ESG practices into company operations and strategic planning.
• Enhance employee training and awareness programs related to HSE/ESG
Required Experience for Position:Proven track record of at least 10 years in senior leadership roles within the utility and energy industry
• Bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field
• MBA or master’s degree is a plus
Competencies & Attributes Required for Position:
• Comprehensive understanding of the energy value chain, energy markets, energy procurement and contracting
• Sound knowledge of current issues in demand-side management and energy industry practices, policies and regulatory requirements.
• Ability to lead long-range strategic planning, including needs assessments, project design, proposal development, budgeting, marketing strategy and customer relations
• Ability to identify and convert opportunities and negotiate complex contracts.
• Ability to prepare, administer, and monitor budgets to meet contractual and statutory requirements.
• Ability to assure compliance with goals, policies and procedures and lead a continuous improvement process.
• Excellent at Risk Management and contingency plans development
• Excellent at preparation of professional reports as required by the Board and other interested parties.
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously within stringent time constraints.
• Ability to effectively manage staff and contractors to ensure that deliverables are received within stipulated time, quality, quantity and cost requirements.
• Sound discretion and independent judgement.
• Excellent working relationship with members of the Board and Committees, staff, external stakeholders, contractors and clients.
Come join our global team of creative thinkers, problem solvers and game changers. We offer accelerated career progression, a dynamic culture and expert training.