Regional HR Director
Consultant Anna Cuzon
Date posted 10 May 20192019-05-14 2019-07-09 trade-and-services 3 Lower Road Johannesburg 2193 Robert Walters
As part of the Regional Management Team, the Regional HR Director is responsible for the development and implementation of the business strategy for the Africa region. The successful incumbent will create and deliver an HR strategy that is aligned with the strategic priorities and timelines and is consistent with the Group’s HR strategy and standards.
1. Teamwork and Collaboration
- Ensure that the businesses are aware of the commercial and business benefits of a well implemented diversity and inclusion strategy
- Optimise operational efficiency and cost-effectiveness through ensuring that key operational HR-related processes – labour cost control, pay design, recruitment, payroll, screening, time and attendance controls etc – are continually reviewed and improved.
- Ensure that the necessary key capabilities are developed or acquired to deliver the business strategy
- Ensure that HR capability within the businesses is developed and appropriate for business needs
- Ensure the businesses deploy appropriate strategies for managing works council and trade union relationships constructively
- Ensure that the businesses comply with the HR minimum standards and report monthly on the standard HR KPIs.
- Monitor performance and use KPIs to identify issues and to benchmark internally/externally
- Ensure that all management positions are included in the Group’s broad-band grading structure and that local research for management pay reviews is done systematically such that pay and benefits are aligned with market rates
4. Best People
- Influence strategic thinking on organisational issues through understanding the implications of planned changes for the organisation and how these will translate into necessary changes in organisational design, roles, people, capability building, cultural alignment etc.
- Ensure that the company values are understood and embedded in the organisation
- Ensure that processes are in place in the businesses/region to systematically identify, develop and maintain a pipeline of high potential managers who will be capable in time of filling key roles at different organisational levels
- Ensure that appointments to key roles are filled by people with the right level of capability to perform effectively
- Ensure that the company employer brand is promoted effectively through all media channels used for recruitment and resourcing
- Ensure that efficient and cost-effective methodologies are used for recruiting, selecting and screening management and frontline employees
- Ensure strategies are implemented in the businesses which enhance levels of employee engagement, encourage discretionary effort and improve employee retention rates.
- Help drive regional performance through ensuring that appropriate schemes are in place for annually disseminating business objectives to individual managers with clear performance expectations, measures and incentives
- Translate the business strategy into a 3 year HR strategy that details the strategic priorities in terms of delivery and impact acknowledging that different businesses are at different stages of development and have different needs.
- Input into Group HR strategy and implementation plans through participation in the Group HR Forum and through collaboration with the other regions to share best practice, knowledge and expertise.
6. Customer Thinking
- Actively participate in appropriate external professional, government, employment and industry bodies to influence situations to the organisation’s advantage wherever possible. Take opportunities to speak publicly to raise the profile of the organisation and to promote our brand as a good and progressive employer.
- Input into, oversee or advise on the organisational and people aspects of major bids to ensure that the company uses this to differentiate wherever possible. Take part in presentations to customers and customer interactions as appropriate.
7. Health and Safety
- Participate in the design/ development/ review/ implementation and monitoring of the branch/region/national safety plans for each year.
- Participate in safety forums created by company for example safety meetings and safety talks
- Report all safety incidents to the relevant people
- Discuss all safety incidents on all levels
- Follow-up on any activities assigned through safety meeting/committee/representative/management
- Attend safety education and refresher programmes Comply with safety policies and procedures at workplace
- Distribute safety information as and when required
- Wear protective clothing all the time
- Relevant HR or business qualification or equivalent
- 5-10 years of successful experience in a senior human resources related role
- Communication (Written and Verbal)
- Ability to influence at a strategic level
- Strong commitment, leadership and management skills
- Acting professionally at all times
- Creating Change
- Engaging, inspiring & developing people
- Driving Superior Performance
- Leading with Professionalism & integrity
- Working collaboratively