Consultant Eloise Deblois
Date posted 05 October 20183 Lower Road Johannesburg 2193 Robert Walters Africa
The Commercial Manager is responsible for all the aspects of the Industrial and Wholesale strategic development including but not limited to the annual sales achievement, and the business development in order to increase market penetration. Also, the Commercial Manager will be responsible to present to the management the affiliate annual business plan with detailed ROI analysis.
The tenant of this position will act under the Sales and Marketing Manager’s authorities when it comes to client and business development management matters.
Under the leadership of the Sales and Marketing Manager, the Commercial Manager Supervises, directs, trains, and motivates the Commercial Sales staff to meet and/or exceed company market share and profitability goals. To this effect, should build and maintain strong internal and external relationships to leverage team effort and effectiveness.
Coach and mentor the team to seek and make the most of opportunities to maximise sales; to act professionally in meeting and exceeding customer needs, and to correctly interpret market environment to derive maximum value mix and flawless operations with the end result of optimising profitability of the Commercial portfolio.
- Manage overall development and implementation of sales strategies and marketing plans to deliver sales growth and market share objectives for each of the Commercial product lines and channels – Fuels, LPG, Lubricants and Resellers.
- Provide team leadership through supervision, direction and coaching to enable each member to achieve agreed objectives. Additionally, ensure staff are developed to their full potential on the backbone of succession planning.
- Hold overall accountability for Commercial sales results including volumes, revenue and margins, timely collection of trade accounts receivable; planning and forecasting.
- Responsible for all budgeting and expense control within Commercial sales, including approval of capital expenditure decisions that require medium to longer term investments.
- Motivate team to be self-driven, results oriented and seeking win-win opportunities to develop long term value to the company.
- Influence, develop and empower team members to set and attain high goals, and regularly appraise them through the performance management system.
- Recognise employee initiative to do the business, and seek innovative and cost-effective solutions to meet customer needs, within business controls.
- Build strong internal and external business relationships to leverage team effort and provide greater negotiation and influence when called for; foster cordial working relationships.
- Take the lead in hiring of Commercial sales staff and identify suitable training opportunities for each individual in order to strengthen the team and enhance collective experience.
- Provide leadership in creating a safe, healthy and environmentally-friendly atmosphere through raising safety awareness.
- A strong university degree (minimum Bachelor) in the areas of Business, Engineering or other relevant discipline.
- At least 5 years post qualification experience gained in field sales in different customer segments (retail and/or commercial sales), preferably in the oil industry.
- At least 2 year's experience in a middle management position in the private sector
- Possess strong business acumen, excellent communication skills
- Should possess sound business judgement and ethics, good people management
- Strive for excellence and customer satisfaction
- Lead by example and ensure that key KPIs are met and even exceeded
- Fluent in both French and English.